Open Gardens 2017
Find out where you can visit an Open Garden in aid of St Helena Hospice. The next gardens to visit this season are in Walton-on-the-Naze on 12th August.
Or green fingered friends, why not open your own garden and share the fruits of your labour to support St Helena Hospice?
If you enjoy gardening and would love to share the fruits of your hard work with friends and family, your neighbours, or members of your community, then you may like to hold an Open Garden event in aid of St Helena Hospice.
Whether you have an acre of beautiful shrubs and borders, or a pocket yard of stunning tubs and herbs, opening it up for a few hours for other people to see will give you a sense of pride, inspire your fellow gardeners, and support your local hospice. Each Open Garden is unique!
It’s free and easy to get involved...
- Pick your own day and time between April and September
- Decide if you want to open up your garden just to people you know or to your whole community
- Collect any donations from visitors on the day
- Let us know you are holding an Open Garden event and you can arrange to pick up a collection pot for your visitors’ donations
Tips for promoting your event
- Let us know date, time, location and additional brief details about what people will see - we can advertise your Open Garden on our website supporter event page and social media if you decide to have a public event
- Display posters in your community at least a month in advance, perhaps ask your local shop, community centre and friends to display one in their window
- You can download a poster here – we’ve made it so you can type in all the details and print it out
- You can also download this version to put in the window of the actual Open Garden location
You may find it helpful to download some of these resources to help you promote your Open Garden. To use, click the link to DOWNLOAD and SAVE the editable PDF documents to your computer. You can then type into the spaces provided and print it out!
- Invitations - these may be useful if you are holding a private event for family and friends
- Open Garden Here poster - you may find this useful to place outside your garden or in a front window to promote your event in advance
- Location poster - you may find this useful to fill in and ask people to put up in other locations to promote your event in advance. You could ask in your local shop, community centre, church, in a friend's window...
- Promotional poster - this has a big space to type in other details or you could use it on the day to say 'Open Garden here today!'
Ways to raise more money
- Sell plants, seeds, garden produce or homemade crafts
- Provide tea and cake for a donation – maybe even combine your Open Garden with a Cuppa and Cake event!
- Set up a craft table for people to make garden mosaics, paint a tealight holder, plant some seeds and more
- Organise a raffle on the day
Everything you raise goes towards helping us continue to support local people living with an incurable illness and their loved ones. We cannot do what we do without your support.
Register your garden
To register your Open Garden event, please download this form and return it to email@example.com
If you would like more information, advice or a collection pots, please contact Toni or Charlotte in the community fundraising team by email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01206 931468.
Send us pictures after your event so we can share your hard work and beautiful blooms on social media!
Gardens open to the public are listed on our website.